10th August 2010
Update: Module “Devel Themer” has since been integrated into “Devel”
I have been learning how to install, edit and maintain new and existing websites built with Drupal over the past few weeks, so I decided to share some tips that others may find useful:
- To get the homepage to be listed with your other pages in the menu, go to Administer > Menus > Primary Links > Add item. Type in <front> for the Path and “home” for the Menu link title, click Save.
- Useful modules are the Devel and Theme Developer modules; a suite of tools to help theme development. Download from http://drupal.org/project/devel and
http://drupal.org/project/devel_themerand extract the zip files. Upload these files to your server in /sites/all/module folder.
Go to Administer > Modules > tick the checkboxes for Devel and Theme Developer. Always remember to turn these off before website goes live, as they use up alot of RAM and give info about the building of the website.
- IE conditional stylesheets module can be obtained from http://drupal.org/project/conditional_styles. Dont forget to add the relevant code from that page into your custom theme .info file, to ensure it is enabled.
- It is also worth noting, checking out the settings at Administer > Themes > Configure > Global Settings and defining your settings for your theme here. Deactivating author info on Pages et al, on the right-hand side can save hiding elements with CSS.
- To select your default admin theme, go to Administer > Administration Theme. You can then choose your custom theme for the public-facing website, yet continue to use a default for the backend.